In 1947 a small group of returned serviceman started a monthly meeting at the RSL Hall in Campbell Street, The Entrance in what was the beginning of the then Tuggerah Lakes Memorial Club.
They met in the small kitchen of the hall to discuss any problems that they faced and have a beer with their mates. Due to growing numbers and limited floor space the group soon moved their meetings to Leo Cheer’s cottage at number 9 Gallipoli Street, the back of where diggers now stands today.
Leo Cheers was a war veteran whose house was perfect for meetings with a veranda and a snooker table. It was then made into a licensed club by building a brick cool room and bar plus employing a qualified barman. The RSL membership fees and the price of the Mudgee Mud beer (three bob a beer) paid for most of the changes.
Throughout the years, the club has gone through many changes with the latest being a complete re-invention into diggers, with a new name, a new image and a new vibrance.